Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Adobe Lightroom Lens Profiles

I recently ran into an issue where Adobe Lightroom 6 did not have the lens profile for a Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM lens when importing JPEG photos.  However, the profile is present for RAW files.

There are a few methods to copy over the RAW lens profile to use on JPEG images, two of which follow:

1. Use the Adobe LCP downloader (requires Adobe AIR which I did not want to install) to check for a suitable JPEG correction profile.

2. Manually edit the RAW .lcp file with a text editor and enable use for JPEG images.  This is the method I used.

You'll need to locate the original raw correction file from either of these locations, and copy to a temp location:
A. /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/Canon
B. /Applications/Adobe\ Lightroom/Adobe\ Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/LensProfiles/1.0/Canon 

The file I copied is named:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II (Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM) - RAW.lcp

Then open up the file in TextEdit and find the string containing stCamera:CameraRawProfile.
The value reads 'True', so change it to 'False'.


Save the file with a new name of your choice and be sure the extension is correctly appended:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II (Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM) - JPEG.lcp

Now copy this file to the location for user created lens profiles:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0 

You may be copy to any of the above locations where we found the original LCP but I did not test it.  I did test this, and it works.

And just like that!  LR will now find and automatically load the lens profile for JPEG images (if you have your Defaults set to enable lens profile correction).



I never did find the actual location for JPEG correction profiles so I'm not exactly sure if there is a database list of which RAW files can be used, but this method does work.

I also took the opportunity to delete default Lens correction profile and Camera correction profiles for obscure brands I have never heard of and will not use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dewalt 12V Battery

So far I only have Dewalt 20V tools, but with the addition of a 12V Ratchet DCF503B, time to add a Lithium Ion 12V pack. I settled with a DC...